Originally Posted By: KenK
Question: How prepared are the search & rescue teams to use the 121.5 MHz locator beacon?

I seem to recall that it was not as many as I might have thought, and that improper use of the equipment was a concern.

I think you may be confused. The vast majority of SAR is equipped to DF (Direction Find or "home") on 121.5. DFing on 121.5 is something of an art, but fairly straightforward with practice, especially when the provided location gets you very close. Someone trying to DF with no experience is going to get frustrated. <g> 121.5 DF gear is cheap, can be cobbled together from Radio Shack parts even, for ground SAR, and easily practiced.

406 DF is relatively new and the available equipment is very expensive and primarily fitted to aviation assets. At this point, virtually no 406 ground DF is available. USCG and CAP are equipping all their aviation assets with 406 DF. USCG is fitting some maritime assets with 406 DF. The advantages of 406 DF is that you can DF from up to 100 miles away due to the 5w signal. So, a big advantage when available.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com