If long term independence from utilities etc. is a goal (which it seems to be given a one year time frame) you need to start by assessing the practicality based on your location. If you live in or near a major metropolitan area, I foresee nearly insurmountable challenges in terms of storing "enough" for a year, in part because you may literally need to store what you need as opposed to ways to get what you need.

On the other hand if you live, or are willing to move somewhere a bit less civilized (which really means citified), the challenges can become more manageable. As recently as the 70's there were places in the USA without electric service and people who lived with greatly reduced dependence on the infrastructure we have grown accustomed to. Of course if we are really looking at a year with out our typical infrastructure I think even the most rural, independent area is going to come up short on a few things and have to find alternatives, most of which (like animal power) have been set aside in favor of more convenient solutions.

So I guess the short version goes, I don't see a practical reason to try to store supplies past a month or two. After that you are better off thinking in terms of means legally acquiring what you need with the assumption it won't be available for purchase.

- Eric