ETS has a lot of knowledgeable and experienced folks who are not afraid to speak their mind. In general, I think it's pretty hard to get much by us, collectively.

By "credibility" if you're just talking about misrepresenting yourself, I don't know if that matters that much to me as much as the quality of what you're posting. Facts are facts and facts can be checked from other sources. As for personal histories, stories or opinions, I always take those with a grain of salt. "You were raised in a Shaolin temple after your missionary parents were killed by heroin smugglers in China and now you're a Navy Seal, you say? I see..." And if it turns out that you weren't a Shaolin monk? <shrug> I don't know if that would bother me much.

Well, I think I would be shocked if a stand up guy that I've enjoyed reading and interacting with for a long time turns out to be a child molestor or something.

As for how we would react, I think the person could be banned by the mods or else I'd just start ignoring the person. Someone who is going to lie like that gets their jollies from observing the reaction of others. If no one responds to their lies, they get frustrated and leave to find greener pastures elsewhere.

Of course, you also have the people who get their jollies viciously stomping on people that they perceive are trolls, liars, etc. and those people can be just as damaging as the original offender in these drawn out flame wars. But we've kept those to a minimum here.

Edited by Arney (06/30/12 04:57 PM)