I'm sitting here wondering if my power is going to stay on -- we rarely lose it where I live in DC but the lights are flickering. Was outside about 10:45p talking to neighbors when the wind hit -- incredible! We were sand-blasted before we could get inside.

80 mph gusts reported around the DC metro area. 300,000 reportedly out of power just in the PEPCO service area (DC and Maryland). Dominion Power (Virginia) reporting 600,000 without power.

To everyone in the affected areas: be safe and best wishes.

I feel so sorry for anyone who does not have power for air conditioning tomorrow (forecast to be another 100+ degree day). They are also expecting another line of super severe storms Saturday evening.

And once again I'd like to express gratitude for everyone on ETS the past several years who have helped me to become more prepared for these situations. This was a surprise storm - until this afternoon it was believed that we had only a very small chance of thunderstorms today -- let alone an epic event like this (epic for us -- weather guys are saying it has been at least a decade since DC has experienced anything like this).

I've got a Petzl Zipka headlamp/wristlamp in my pocket - other flashlights ready to light up and candle lanterns ready to go.