Last night, I opened a knife DW picked up on our recent trip to Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Tennessee (disclaimer, no affiliations with any company discussed here or anywhere else). It was intended to be used as a gift but since the price point was about $10 I couldn't resist opening it and posting about it here.

The knife? A Gerber/Bear Grills basic Swiss army type. My preliminary inspection revealed nice tight springs - VERY tight, so tight in fact I could not operate the apparently one-hand opening main blade one handed (hoping some oil and a little breaking in will solve that).

Speaking of the main blade, it appears to be a bit more robust than the main blade on my SAK. A nice wharncliffe/sheepsfoot style blade to maximize the length of the cutting edge. It also feels good and sharp. Maybe not "shave the hair off a fleas legs" kind of scary scalpel sharp, but I felt like I'd be able to slice paper with it (there was no paper within my reach or I'd have tested that theory). Note that neither the main blade nor any of the other blades locked in the open position (which might account for the exceptionally tight springs).

The other blades are typical SAK type tools, with a large flathead driver on the end of the bottle opener, a small flathead driver, and a phillips driver.

The overall package is a bit smaller than my Victorinox SAK (the 3 1/2" model) but the blade seemed to be a bit larger than on my SAK (I did not get a chance to do a real side by side comparison, these are mainly just my first impressions of the knife after pulling it out of it's clamshell packaging). If it is not a bit longer, it is definitely wider and thicker. The handles are some type of rubber and have a good grippy feel to them (which certainly helps since it is a bit shorter than my SAK).

These are just first impressions. Unfortunately, only time will tell if it will hold up as well as the SAK I've been carrying around for the last 15 years or more. As always, YMMV.