Since I live in my fire district, as long as I have comms I am "at work" at home.and can respond directly or to the closest fire house. Rural mountain area, no traffic jams. So as long as roads are passible with 4x4 we are in business.
During past weather disasters we have used 4x4 ambulances and fire trucks to get doctors, nurses and other critical personel to work.
If you hve a critical job then your employer bears some responsibility in getting you to work in a disaster, and in providing for (or allowing you time to provide for) your family. Most agencies have a written disaster plan. I suggest people review that plan. Find out if it provides for getting you to work. You may have access to government fuel for your vehicle or government transportation by military or public safety vehicle.
The choice of taking care of family vs getting to work is one we all struggle with. During the begining of the on-going High Park fire here in Colorado the local volunteer fire fighters stayed on the fire while their fire station and some of their homes burned to the ground. They were saving other people's homes while theirs burned. During Katrina we saw a lot of the reverse.
My family knows what to expect from me.
leo