How timely to see this thread. My Element is going into the shop tomorrow (a/c problem) and I just finished taking nearly everything out of it in case someone of low integrity were tempted to root around.

Good to go through it all a few times a year for a reminder of exactly what is in there, where it all is and to see if things need updating (I keep some food items in there so those are now in the kitchen to be assessed and perhaps replaced).

For batteries, I've become a fan of these "Dial Industries" battery storage boxes that I found on Amazon. I have the AA and AAA boxes in the car - clear plastic so you can easily see what you have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003US4L4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=A2FP3WC79CXYXU

Despite living in muggy DC, this summer I've begun keeping more cold weather stuff in it than normal -- relatively small items that could make a huge difference in comfort level on a cool night outside the city if stranded in the car and which can be crammed into nooks and crannies.

Such as: balaclava, fleece hat, ear muffs, long underwear, down booties, Smartwool socks. I also put an old 50-degree synthetic sleeping bag in there that compresses small and a fleece bag liner that recently came in handy when visiting a friend's beach house and they had the a/c cranked a bit higher than was comfortable for me. I also keep a Marmot Dri-clime jacket and Marmot Precip parka in there.

On summer days, I'm nearly always dressed very light -- cotton, linen, silk -- so its nice to know that if I drive out of town that I've got some warmer items tucked away in the event of an emergency.

Hiking boots/socks/extra laces and underwear are also in the Element (except when it is going into the shop....).

Shelter begins with your clothes.