I live in SOCAL and have gone through a few of these without having to evacuate. However, my personal wildfire checklist is similar to wildman800's except it is more streamlined. His looks like a very good list for starts. My list is more like, FireCon 5: accept that fires can happen outside Fire Season so keep everything up-to-date. After that I begin with wildman800's item 3=Fire(s) have started within your county; I would add "and there is fuel to sustain the fire between where the fire is now and where you are" or words to that effect. Wind moves a fire, but it still needs fuel. Fires here almost always start in the east and move west. The winds may die down at night but it is almost always the east-west, hot, dry Santa Ana winds pushing the flames so wind direction is only critical when the fire is so close you can hear it -- by that time you are way into FireCon 1 and should be gone.

Anyway, when there is a fire loose to the east we go to item 3; I pack the truck (way more than "kits") and prepare to evacuate. It's critical to not wait until the smoke is invading your nostrils because packing to evacuate while on a tight time-line is not beneficial to packing what you need to save. You pack what you can grab and you will miss a lot.

That's the way my truck was when they gave the (fortunately) optional evacuation notice for the last largish fire. Just north of here the evacuation was not optional. Some of my neighbors took the opportunity to go on vacation so the children and pets weren't in the area. I stayed around as the neighborhood watch in a relatively quiet neighborhood. It was a good sign when the fireman down the street came home to take a break.

To summarize, I go from almost always in FireCon 5, to FireCon 3; I've come close to FireCon 1, but fortunately I live in the wrong ravine/canyon so have never gotten there.