The home defensive system has to have layers, right? You are working on the doors and windows, and soon you'll have that taken care of. At some point you might want to consider an alarm system, either something that is networked to a security company, or a self-contained system that screams its head off when tripped. Lighting the crucial entry areas might help.

You can go pretty far in home security. Let me tell you about a house. It's got four layers of locks: (1) a solid, mechanically operated metal door, reinforced by numerous bolts and locks (I think around ten of them); (2) another door right behind it with two serious locks; (3) a lighter wooden door with a lock; (4) and a solid, thick wooden door to the inner sanctum. There is a lighting and alarm system, too. There is only one ground-accessible window, and it's got thick metal grills on it. The walls are thick bricks. There is a lot of lighting day and night. Two people check all the locks every night. Sounds pretty good, hunh?

The house still got penetrated. In the middle of the night, some burglars quietly broke through all these defenses and took only the most valuable items. (They might have somehow surveilled the house for a while before the burglary.) They did not wake anyone or harm anyone. They were skilled and equipped, not like the five guys who beat your friend -- those sound like amateurs. Naturally, they made off with quite a profit.

So consider what sort of people you want to keep out, and plan accordingly. Most US houses aren't so well-designed against burglars. I mean, they aren't fortresses like the house I describe above! But even that can be penetrated.