Even if you are in the White House, the purpose of security can not be "keep them out forever"

Unless you are deliberately pissing off mafia thugs or gangs, or are planning for zombies, the goal is to
1) make your house a bad target
1st, set it up so anyone coming can be seen- no obscured windows (Bushes that cover entire windows let them work in private
2nd Make it LIGHT- thieves do not want to work on your locks under a spotlight
3rd. Where possible, make it painful. SHORT, Thorny bushes are not fun

These make you house a bad target- thieves don't want to get caught. If your house looks harder than your neighbors, they will move on.

2) Reinforce- this is what you are doing.
Coatings on Windows that make them bend and bow but not shatter (more kid safe too)
better bolts
better screws
Better doors
Better doors on your BEDROOM, with a real LOCK.
Good alternate exits.

These give you TIME- and Options
Time to call the police
Time to run away/hide/fight.

3)Network. Know your neighbors, have them know you. Real neighbors keep each other safe- They call the police for you. They catch your dog.

4) slightly off topic, but equally important- know your laws. Shooting someone breaking in in TX is totally different than in NE. One gets you a medal, one gets you arrested. This can even differ from city to city, and county to county.
I know where I am, if someone breaks in; if I go confront them and someone gets hurt, I can get charged. All snarky "I'll just plant a knife on them" aside- no thank you- You try to take that TV before the cops come.
Now if they come upstairs towards my kids, I can claim imminent danger, and all bets are off.

Last point- Make sure your security is subordinate to your safety. I saw one guy securing windows with NAILS- um, dude- you have a wife and two girls that use a can of hairspray a WEEK. Whats more likely- a robbery, or a FIRE?