Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

I think VG-10 is pretty good for outdoors-type knives. CPM154 is pretty good, too. S30V is a good strong steel but doesn't take as good an edge as VG-10. In the hands of someone who understands how to heat treat it correctly D2 is a great steel (but off the cuff I'd only trust Bob Dozier and Knives of Alaska). O1 is a really good steel, and I particularly like JK Handmade Knives (I've got 50 of them). 1095 is acceptable but not premium. I shy away from 440C and its' variants...not crappy but there's much better. There are a few higher end ones that get good press but I can't speak from experience. These include CPM-M4 and Boeler K390. Someday... Busse does a good job with his proprietary INFI steel. And surely there are some obviously great steels that I'm simply forgetting right now.

You need a certain level of quality of steel but really I think that, within reason, the heat treat trumps the choice of steel.

Thank you for such an in-depth response.
I'm sorry I did not answer your question, work has been too busy to go online.

I meant outdoor EDC KNIFE / not chopper or impromptu battle ax.
It looks like I'm using your choices.
I have a Spyderco in VG10 that I EDC. I like it as a great all around knife.
I own two of Doug's CMP-M4 but use them infrequently.
I own some S30V but I tend to baby them to softer cutting because it is supposed to be very chippy.
I own a few 1095 including Doug's but all are more camp choppers then knives.
I have a number of other steels too.

I posted the question because there are steels that hold an edge well but are hard to sharpen especially quick touch ups in the field.
My skills with my Sharpmaker are only get me so far.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge of both steel and sharpening.
It looks like I'm making good choices.