Originally Posted By: picard120
how do you deal with panic attack during a life to death situation where you are running for your life?

I'll let you know if I ever get there! smile

At work, my job can be very stressful since I tend to get the worst crap thrown at me and often all at once. So it is a matter of learning to dance, box and swim at the same time. The last 3 weeks of work just before my current vacation was just that. Although there was no outright panic attack the stress was extremely weary. Each day would knock me down so by 6:00 I headed home to relax. However, one afternoon it came to a head and I just had to bail. (The final trigger was something so minor and unexpected - I dumped my food in my lap!) I told people I needed some space and took off for the rest of the afternoon before I blew up at someone.

Later my supervisor recognized that I did the right thing in that moment and encouraged me to take it easy during my well deserved time off.

There are few times when someone is going to come face to face with a life crisis like a vehicle accident or natural disaster or whatever. You will handle it they way will handle it. Although some mental preparation and training is helpful, when you are out of your element you will just have to adapt and deal with things OR you will panic.

That said, I think the idea of panic is overblown especially in the movies and the media. Studies have shown that in fires, etc that people tend to just react fairly calmly and even rationally. What is the first thing most people think of in a crisis? -- Where are my loved ones? How can I get to them and protect them? So in spite of sirens and commands from others most people will seek out those they are separated from. Its instinctive. During my Wilderness FA training, the instructor related several stories of people had instant recall of their training after a moment or two of hesitation and were able to perform first aid with clarity.

A couple of months ago I posted a link on the forums about some kids who stayed calm and took control of their school bus when their driver suffered from a heart attack while driving. Students too young to really have much training evidently were calm enough to control the situation. http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=17454&Number=244761#Post244761