Jerry,

I do believe the program is useful and productive. I believe the greatest benefit is in helping out neighbors immediately following a disaster and performing those functions that mitigate potentially further damage, such as turning off utilities, clearing undamaged structures of injured individuals, helping with communications and probably a whole host of non-hazardous assistance.

The problem I have is with “A second part of our mission is to provide a trained force of volunteers to supplement first responders, such as for search efforts”. Many of you who have taken the course have indicated in your own posts there is significant diversity of training, equipment provided and expectations from community to community and course to course. This is enough for me to take pause as to whether or not to use you to supplement First Responders. Even your example of moving timbers, something that would seem relatively benign can lead to issues. Do you have the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), such as steel toed boots, leather gloves, long sleeved shirt and pants, a proper helmet that will not fall off your head? Do you have any acute or chronic injuries that could be exacerbated if you are lifting heavy timbers? Do you know how to lift heavy timbers? If you get hurt or your actions result in someone else getting hurt, what is the liability in using you? Have you undergone a criminal background check? Can I leave you to search a residence that may contain valuables without worry? These are questions and concerns that would, in my mind limit the areas in which I would feel comfortable using you as a supplemental resource under my direction.

Lono indicated: “By comparison, the CERT training I took was not intended to create a force of CERT trainees who get called out together to support first responders - it was intended more for individuals who might be stuck in the first 72 hours without first responders present.” and “if the Big One strikes, the first responders won't be in your neighborhood for at least 72 hours, you will be on your own, so you should focus on rescue and care of your family and immediate neighbors, and our overall training reflected those needs.” and “the last organized function I recall was to fill sandbags and keep flood water from encroaching on a non-critical structure - a city park building.”

Chaosmagnet listed: “Moving rubble piles, hauling equipment, check buildings/homes that have no apparent damage, those are the sorts of things we can do. We can also assist in search efforts outdoors or in large (undamaged or lightly damaged) buildings.”

Again, I do appreciate everyone’s efforts, it takes time to obtain the training and do believe the program has merit. Just don’t be surprised or offended if you show up after an event and First Responders are somewhat hesitant to utilize or integrate you into or under their operations.

I would like to hear more real world examples both from CERT members and various First Responders who have responded to events in which CERT members have been utilized and what their experiences have been.

Pete