Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Quote:
A second part of our mission is to provide a trained force of volunteers to supplement first responders, such as for search efforts

The problem I have with any utilization as a supportive supplement to search and rescue operations, is I have no idea if you really have the necessary training, equipment and physical stamina to be of benefit and not a liability. For example there are Firefighters that I would be hesitant to utilize because they do not have the proper training. At best I might use them to move rubble piles, haul equipment, check buildings/homes that have no apparent damage, Pete

Pete,

Although I understand your concerns, I would disagree strongly with you about the usefulness of these programs. This attitude takes me back to 911 when ARC turned down volunteers to help passing out water bottles - they were not ARC certified! Should you send a CERT team into a badly damaged multi-story building? Of course not, but there will be lots of places you can use them. You have included several of them in your discussion. Can they carry timbers to the scene of first responders doing a rescue? Certainly. Food and water distribution, walk or carry survivors to triage areas. All these and many more are well within their capabilities and reduce the load on the professionals. Many more are within their capabilities under the supervision of a well trained person. They are a force multiplier and can allow the use of the trained personnel for only those situations where their training is needed.

I have been on many wild land fires and major disasters where the availability of untrained volunteers was a great help. CERT training would have made them even more useful. The professionals need to plan on how to include them and use them as their training allows. Just remember that their CERT training may not be the only thing they bring to the party.

Respectfully,

Jerry