Man, I would agree with this - I don't know any CERT training course that anticipates CERT participating in first responder activities - that requires training that CERT doesn't provide.

I think that at the extreme, in terms of S&R and First Aid, CERT can act as what I call 1 Hour responders, which are persons who dig into rubble in the hours immediately after a major event when First Responders are overwhelmed and unavailable. It is neighbor attempting to rescue neighbors, and family rescuing family members: it will go on regardless of the availability of trained response, so CERT at least gives its trainees some of the knowledge necessary to perform a safe and timely rescue. Some knowledge, but not all - you need the training that Paramedicpete describes to know what to do and what not to do. Family going after family however tend to blow away all the training and safety, and families are more likely to enter unsafe structures in an attempt to save lives of family members. Some lives will be lost if members of the public and/or CERT engage in light S&R, that's a fact, but maybe not as many as assumed. In the meantime, some studies are showing that rescues in those first hours after a disaster can save lives.

The same can be said about rendering first aid - you can only practice to the extent of your training and licensure. I might pull a victim from underneath a collapsed structure, but I can't do very much for their crush injuries except triage, and maybe immobilize and alert actual medical assistance for help.

I am a couple zip codes over from the municipality where I took my CERT training years ago - in the event of a major EQ, I'm not reaching for my lime green CERT vest and helmet and organizing with other CERTs, they are few in our city. I'm pulling out my garbage can full of pry bars and wood blocks for cribbing and blocking, and possibly putting that to use. And my bags full of bandages, triangle bandages, 4x4s, tape, gloves, and tarps, and attempting triage of wounded. The 'best' disasters will be when I look a little foolish for being prepared - but no way can I provide the same assistance that an actual First Responder can give. The 'worst' will be when I put all this stuff to use to the extent of my training.