Quote:
A second part of our mission is to provide a trained force of volunteers to supplement first responders, such as for search efforts

The problem I have with any utilization as a supportive supplement to search and rescue operations, is I have no idea if you really have the necessary training, equipment and physical stamina to be of benefit and not a liability. For example there are Firefighters that I would be hesitant to utilize because they do not have the proper training. At best I might use them to move rubble piles, haul equipment, check buildings/homes that have no apparent damage, but I will not put them into situations for which they do not have proper training, to do so is asking for injuries or worse. To feel secure in utilizing personnel in an urban/suburban environment post event, I would want to make sure they have at least the minimum amount of training that is expected of our personnel. At minimum, this includes Firefighter I (108 hrs), First Responder (40hrs), Rescue Technician (27hrs), Structural Collapse Technician (80hrs) plus all of the various FEMA ICS (100, 200, etc.) courses. These courses along with at least quarterly training and an annual medical clearance (complete physical including stress test and N95 fit test) are required to ensure the individual can function and not be a liability. In my justification, all team members are volunteer (we have career members, but as part of the team, they do so as volunteers) and it can be a challenge to recruit and retain members for the once or twice in a lifetime call. Fortunately, we also perform water and mountain rescues, of which we get enough to hold onto members.

Pete