Thanks for the numerous responses. Sorry for my late response to any questions but work was too busy today to answer sooner.

Hurt knee, I could walk but I felt the pack and I didn't want to completely blow it out.
Minor rock scrambles, walking hilly terrain. Reverse to get back.

I was hurt before the trip so I left the items home. If I was out I would have asked my friends to take some of my toys. I routinely blow out my back or knees doing something foolish...I mean fun :-) ... so I'm used to rethinking my gear
The trip included some scrambling and that warranted trying to cut weight.

Aussie, cache during the situation makes lots of sense. Hopefully I will never be that hurt but it is something I will keep in mind.

Roarmeister, R.I.C.E. is my friend, I always carry instant ice packs and elastic bandages.
I have a fairly good first aid set-up and both for myself and others elastic bandages have come in handy numerous times.
I keep a SAM splint in my vehicle. If you're taking a kayak the slight amount of weight it adds might be something to consider.
...I know says the guy who KNOWS he packs too heavy but first aid supplies I have needed too often. That's one area I don't want to cut down on.

Packing smarter that is what is always a work in progress for me. In one day you have all given me some great advice which I am going to use to reevaluate what I take.

Good luck with your recovery Chaosmagnet.

Any more advice, I'm always ready to listen?
I look forward to being a part of the forum.