Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I've been lurking almost weekly since the 2003 blackout and I find the information on this site indispensable!
My library is filled with book recommendations, I took WFA & Wild Edibles classes, I have 4 of Doug's knives, a SAME receiver, per Blast, 2 canister stoves, per Hiking Jim, and own tons of other toys...I mean useful gear.

My questions are:
What do you leave behind when injured?
Did you leave behind anything you realized you needed?

Recently I was hurt before a long day hike and I needed to lighten the load.

From my pack I removed my Steripen. I switched out my Jetboil Flash for my Gigapower & small GSI Minimalist. Pulled out my fleece, U.dig.it, cookware,
utensils, sandals and lightened my food load to JUST enough.

I also left my secondary PSK which includes: Terralux converted minim,ag, ChargeTTI & bits, spacepen, mini bic, spare batts, duct tape, ferro rod, Mg strip, braid of paracord & spare car key. All items are stored in a belt pouch.

In total I saved over 12lbs.

Lessons learned:
My 3L Camelbak started full but I realized my chlorine dioxide tablets were in the Jetboil which was relaxing with the Steripen on my couch. This meant that my choices were the two ClO2 tablets I always keep in my wallet or boiling 0.5L at a time. I left myself without easy safe water...I conserved H2O and returned with less than 1L.

I was hungry, I had no food left. This was ok for a day hike but if the trip would have turned bad I would've had to have cooked one of my companions ;-)

No spare key. Luckily I didn't need it.