I'm a bit miffed that the previous CERT teams have mostly disappeared, taking their govt-funded kits with them. They should really return this stuff if they want to leave.

[/quote]The philosophy in my area is a it different. Our instructor mentioned that they were in "catch and release" mode - train people, give them some equipment and they will be able to assist in a big disaster. They are thinking about civilian aid during a major disaster (like a severe earthquake) when the pros are overwhelmed and local amateur efforts are the only assistance available for many victims.

I can't say I was impressed with the gear provided. We got a rather small backpack, a cheap hard hat (more useful for identification than for protection), a high visibility vest (good item!, one cheap disposable mask (not even N95), and a decent pair of gloves. Most ludicrous of all was a clunky incandescent D-cell flashlight with cheap alkaline batteries (a sure leakomatic). My second string EDC is better than that.

I have done some mild upgrades to the equipment, providing a chin strap for the helmet, which will be good for identification, at least. I will also bring a personal helmet if I am in a situation where I need decent pro. I also scrapped up some real N95 masks and stuck them in the pack. We do have annual training exercises and I plan to attend.

Edited by hikermor (05/28/12 02:33 PM)