Canoedogs,

I took out my canoe kit (also my BOB) last weekend to get some stuff out of it. Mine is also in two Duluth style packs, one about 35 years old (a Camp Trails) and one (from Cabela's - a waterproof one) is only a couple of years old. For the canoe or use in camping from light aircraft I think they are still a great choice. Since mine is set up for a 2 week trip, it also is a great BOB if long carries are not anticipated.

Where is your trip headed?

Day packs are very personal. I like top opening with a few pockets and VERY tough (I carry rocks and lots of equipment).
My everyday one is an old 2800 cu. in. Kelty day pack with a few mods (mostly the addition of a back pocket for an ensolite pad). The 3 pockets (two side for water bottles and one top) are great to me.

I do have a 24 hr SAR bag that is a medics pack from London Bridge Trading. A great pack with lots of pockets. Easy to access the gear (especially FA stuff) through the panel opening. Tough. Expensive (if you buy new, I got mine second hand - near new for a lot less). Heavy. Very comfortable.

Respectfully,

Jerry