Thanks for the follow-up Bingley. It's become apparent that CERT training is different around the country. We had CPR training, but the end-of-course exercise was no where near as involved as yours.

As far as continuation training, our community holds 2 "exercises"/yr and 2 indoor training sessions. The head of our team has, over the years, gotten the community management involved and supportive of CERT, including a line item in the budget to purchase supplies/equipment. We have 2 trailers that come out for each exercise and/real world situations. One acts as a untility trailer carrying gear, our generator, etc. The larger one acts as the comm center and carries the CERT Team kits (first aid, radios, etc), as well as replacement medical supplies, hard hats, etc. Prior to an exercise/actual event (likely a hurricane) these are prepositioned near the community center and chained down, ready for us when needed. The last indoor training involved CPR, a review of the first aid kits, and a couple of stations including infection control and bandaging.

I have my ham license, so I can fill any team position since I'm a trained CERT person. I have taken IS100 and will likely take more FEMA courses as time goes by. I agree with chaosmagnet about them being "lame." Not the most challenging courses. Just takes time.