I'm in the market for a new phone after about 6 years of having the same phone, a Treo 700, original battery. It has worked fine on the tops of ski resorts, such as Heavenly, Snowbird, and Steamboat. It has been a good run. I doubt the phones today will have that longevity and ruggedness. I'm going to miss this phone.

Anyway, I'm basing my decision on the carrier first. I'm probably going with Verizon. If the intent is to have an abnormally rugged phone, there are only one or two options for each carrier. I personally don't need a phone that I can drop kick into a river. My options are open. I'm fine with buying the comprehensive insurance and treating the phone with normal care.

Not surprisingly, a phone I would have selected in January 2012 would not have been my choice today in May 2012. The technology is moving so fast. Currently, I want a phone on Verizon, operating with Android 4.0, virtual keyboard, access to 4G network, not huge. Now, there is the Samsung Nexus. It almost fits this criteria, except it's too big. Also, I don't like the 2-year contract in order to get a good deal. I'm probably going to get a used phone from Craig's List so I can avoid the contract.