Originally Posted By: hikermor
The only problem I see with this is typical of many of their offerings - the quantity offered is too large to be practical for me. I have the same issue with Costco's fifty pound bags of flour and rice. I have no space to store and use that quantity in a realistic time frame, so I don't purchase, despite the attractive unit price. iT would e different if I were purchasing for a restaurant.

Comment was made about Costco being full of processed food; they do have lots,but no more than their competition. I get good deals on items like walnuts and raisins; there is good stuff available if you shop selectively.

Like any other disaster preps, repackage it into more suitable-size containers. A 50# bag becomes 25x2# vacuum-sealed bags with an O2 absorber for long-term stability and stored in your disaster pantry. 2# bags get opened and transferred to tupperware containers in your kitchen as needed, either for normal rotation or during an emergency.

I don't think the $3,200 emergency food supply is preying on fears anymore than AMK selling survival blankets. The manufacturer's research indicates there's a market demand and they are trying to address the demand in a way that earns them a profit. The benefit to the consumer is by purchasing this versus around 900 separate #10 cans of Mountain House dehydrated food you can save a ton of money.

If you add up the cost of your disaster food supplies, I'd bet its impossible to put together a 9-month supply of food anywhere as cheaply as $3,200. Around me, a pound of pasta and a can of sauce costs around $3.00, or $0.75/serving. So this is a pretty good value, particularly given the 20-year shelf life. I'm a bit concerned about the long-term effects of living on commercially-manufactured, freeze-dried foods, but many people do rely on these products for their emergency preps.