Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: Arney
Most people don't proactively replace their flashlight batteries on a schedule (I find yearly works fine with alkalines)

How do you make a battery last a year? I guess I use my lights more than most people. My batteries would be dead as a doornail (from use) long before a year is up. That's why I went to rechargeables. NiMh (Eneloops) for the lights I use occassionally, and LiIon for the heavy hitters (both in frequency of use and brightness requirements). I do keep alkalines as backups for some flashlights, but those are stored separately - outside of the flashlight.

I use my Maratac AAA almost daily, usually on its lowest setting, occasionally on high, and a AAA Lithium primary lasts me a year. But I do also carry a Fenix PD30 2xCR123A flashlight, and use that about as often as the Maratac. So if I used only the Maratac for all chores, battery life would be shorter.