Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i've been packing for my June 5th solo canoe trip.behind me is the main pack with the tent and sleeping gear.
what i have noticed,inspired by this this thread,is that i don't make out a list but do it by "eyeballing".
with the stuff sack with the tenting gear packed i moved on to the clothing.by eye balling i mean that i set out each bit of clothing on the living room floor next to the stuff sack and ask myself if i have what i need based on past trips,one set of spare shirt and pants,four sets of soxs,the back up TP and matches,you know the normal camp stuff.
i do the same with the food.it gets set out the same way.each dinner, breakfast and lunch spread out so i can see it and count it off before its broken up into thirds and put away.i break up the dinners that way so i'm not opening a big bag to the damp but just a few at a time even if each one is in it's own zip lock.
maybe i'm just one of those people who has to visualize things to make sense of them but with everything,and i mean everything right down to the last Bic set out in front of me the prospect of forgetting is nil.
and i should say in the process quite a bit is seen as overload and left home.

I do it the same way, Canoedogs. I usually start 3 or 4 days before a trip, doing each group at a time, finishing them all and then packing it all up. I have a list too, but am not comfortable without the visual check.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA