Some thoughts and observations

Originally Posted By: RNewcomb

Environment - Primarily Urban, but I do go on road-trips from time to time. Iowa has cold winters and hot summers. I am also a camping enthusiast.

Food:

Emergency Bars (Datrex) (two packs)
Emergency Water (six 1 pint packs)

Six pints isn't a lot of water, especially if you have passengers. I'd suggest a minimum of 1 gallon plus containers and a purification filter to produce more.

Hardware:

12v Air Pump
Folding Shovel/Entrenching Tool
Hand Axe / W small Saw in Handle
LED Emergency Strobes (Super Bright - Road Emergency)
Jumper Cables
Tow Rope
Fire Extinguisher
Ice scraper
Full Windshield Sun visor
Four Ratcheting Tie Downs
MultiTool
Gorilla Tape
10 (12 hr) Chemical Light Sticks
Paper Towels
OTG Goggles

I've found that using a hand axe to clear obstructions or cut firewood takes a lot of time and effort. Instead, I carry a 21" folding Sven Saw that can easily cut through green or dry wood 12" diameter or more.

Make sure your entrenching tool is a good quality design. I've seen cheap ones fold or break when trying to dig out soil. In the winter time I'd add a collapsible aluminum avalanche shove to more quickly remove snow.

Check the quality of your jumper cables. The kind that come in most vehicle emergency kits use thin gauge wire and cheap clamps that don't transfer enough current to reliably start a vehicle. Buy a heavy-duty set of jumpers to make sure you can get the job done. Also consider a portable, rechargeable self-jump-start battery pack.

Instead of a tow rope I suggest a recovery strap. A tow rope is a static line, so the recovery vehicle needs to overcome the weight of your vehicle plus whatever resistance is holding you in place to get you free. Often this is difficult to make work if there is no solid ground to get traction. A recovery strap stretches to take advantage of kinetic energy and "jerk" your vehicle free, without the sudden jarring force that would occur from a static line. The strap should be rated minimum 3X the maximum weight of your vehicle and have no metal hooks or rings attached, as these might become deadly, high-speed missiles if something goes wrong. Instead, use 3/4" D-rings with the pins oriented into the strap or perpendicular to the strap so if they fail the least amount of mass will be launched. Also make sure you know where the recovery hard points are on your vehicle, as attempting to do a recovery with the strap attached to drivetrain or suspension components will usually cause more damage than good.

Test your air compressor to make sure it can completely refill your tire in a reasonable amount of time. Most inexpensive compressors cannot readily refill larger SUV tires.

Consider adding a basic tool set with screwdrivers, pliers, needle-nose pliers, wire cutters/strippers and electrical crimpers and whatever sockets or wrenches are needed to replace a hose, belt, spark plug or thermostat on your engine. Also include electrical tape, spare fuses, a couple of spare spark plugs, spare serpentine belt, Rescue Tape or similar high-pressure silicon tape to repair hoses, crimp-on electrical connectors and but-splices, and some small rolls of 12, 14 and 16 AWG wire. Most disabling failures are cooling-system and electrical problems. Bigger failures require a much larger selection of heavier-duty tools and often access to spare parts that aren't usually worth carrying on road trips.

I wouldn't recommend fix-a-flat, instead I carry a good tire plug kit with at least 24 plugs, 4 spare valve cores and 2 spare valve stems.

Emergency Supplies:

Water Proof Matches
Fire Starters
Emergency Blanket (Soft)
Emergency Blanket (Silver/WaterProof)
Gel Burners
Battery Light Sticks (Led Flashlight/Red Strobe)
Dyno Flashlight - (Emergency Cell phone charger)
Chemical Warmers (20 count) + 2 in Plastic tote under seat
Fix a flat
40 Channel Portable CB Radio / Extra Batteries

My preference would be a Trangia stove & cookset with 20-32oz of denatured alcohol instead of gel burners. I agree with the cheap, disposable lighter idea mentioned. The Dyno flashlights I've tested don't work effectively to recharge cell phones, I'd bring something like the GoalZero Guide 10 battery charger that will recharge any cell-phone that has a USB charging cable off of 4x AA batteries, and just carry a supply of Lithium AA primary batteries.

I'd add an LED headlamp and good quality LED flashlight, again with extra Lithium batteries.

The best option I've found for blankets is to buy 60" wide microfleece material from a store that sells sewing material. Also, alapaca-wool blankets offer the most warmth in the least bulk and weight.

AAA Emergency Bag (1st Aid Kit + Home of Jumper Cables and Tow Rope above)
Some items in this kit:
1 Flashlight, Batteries
Emergency Poncho
Bandaids, Alcohol Wipes, etc.
Heat Resistant Gloves
Some other misc stuff

I am a firm believer that nobody's life is ever threatened by a wound that can be covered by a band-aid, at least not in the short-term. So I would suggest more first aid supplies to deal with traumatic injuries, such as:

Quik-Clot or Celox bandages
Israeli field dressings
Several gauze pads in sizes 3x3 through 5x9
Non-Stick gauze pads in 2x3 and 3x4 size
Several rolls of gauze in 3" and 4" widths
Wound closure adhesive strips
Duct tape
SAM splint
Elastic bandage rolls, 3" and 4"
Instant cold packs
Saline eye/wound wash
CPR facemask with filtered check valve
Nitrile exam gloves

I'd also include ibuprofen for fever and pain, loperamide hcl for diarrhea, and diphenhydramine hcl for allergic reactions and motion sickness. All are OTC meds.

On Person:

Zippo Lighter (Upgrading to Coleman Lighter soon)
Leatherman MultiTool
Folding PocketKnife
Smart Phone with GPS/Weather/Police Scanner/Mini LED Flashlight

Future Additions:

More Water/Dynex bars (wanted to test these first)
Tampons (Help stop bleeding)
Sealed pack of wet wipes/Wet Naps
Heavy duty garbage bags/ties
Dust masks
Full Tine Knife
Radiation Exposure Badges
Hitch Mounted Winch (12v)
Water Purification Tablets
iOSTAT Iodine Tabs

A hitch-mounted winch is better than no winch, but the big problem we've experienced is that sometimes the back of the vehicle is in a snow bank or up against an obstacle and you can't get to or mount the winch. Careful consideration also needs to be given to mounting such a heavy object when not in use, lest it become a deadly missile during an accident or roll-over.

Baby wipes are thicker, stronger and less expensive than wet naps.

Radiation badges and iodine tabs? Perhaps a good idea but a bit out of the scope of vehicle preparedness and more suitable to a bug-out bag, or even EDC bag if you feel the risk warrants.

Some other things to consider:

Nitrile shop gloves: these will help keep your hands clean while performing vehicle repairs and also provide an infection barrier when rendering first aid to strangers.

Warm jacket, hat and gloves for yourself and each passenger.

Extra socks.

Disposable rain ponchos and at least one set of rain pants.

Get an external, magnetic-mount antenna for the CB radio for vastly-improved range.