Have had a few encounters with rattlers.
1 or 2 close calls.
All this stuff happened several years ago in CA.

The close calls were pretty much MY OWN fault.
I should have been paying more attention to where I put my feet.
Generally rattlers will let you know if you're close to their space. So their rattle and reaction is actually a big advantage.

I would not be troubled if i were you.
Chances are that you probably wont see a rattler, unless you are lucky - OR you are walking through the underbrush. My best piece of advice is to move SLOWLY, use a walking stick (probing ahead with the stick), and look carefully. But if you stick to trails, I wouldn't think you need to worry.

I do agree with the comments that a real rattler does not sound like what Hollywood depicts. To me, the sound was more like an insect that suddenly started flying from ground level. That being said - the sound still got the job done. I sprang back and went "Whew!!!". Hahaha !

Sometimes encounters with rattlers can be really cool. I saw a cute baby one crossing a trail in Kings Canyon (CA) one time. And I found a whopping big one on a back road in the Santa Monica mountains one time too. But truth is - these snakes would have only been a problem if I did something really stupid. Like harassing them or trying to pick them up.

Have fun on your hike. :-)

Pete2