Originally Posted By: comms
Nomad & Wiley really nailed it. I am in the desert of trail, on trail quite often. I mostly see rattlesnakes soaking up sun on car trails in direct heat or on rocks.

The only other advice I'd give aside from reading each of their points 3 times so it soaks in, is stay on the path or trail, don't cut it just to shave a few extra feet of walking.

And I suppose regarding a hiking staff or poles, they don't need to be special. Its the thumping that will get them moving. A straight branch you picked up on the ground, a set of $10 Walmart hiking sticks, or a $120 set of Leki's will all sound the same to a snake.

And I suppose a FINAL note. Don't let the fear of snakes interrupt what should be a fun time. I have been with people who have fixated on the mere idea that snakes could be in the area once out of a car and it ruins the whole trip.

Thanks comms! I totally agree with what you say, especially the last point. I'm a firm believer that knowledge is power and that it something scares you the best thing to do is to learn about it!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA