I live part of the year in the desert of Southern Arizona. Big time snake country.

Walking stick is a must have item. Probe anywhere you can not see clearly. Snakes can be very hard to see.

Don't pick up anything without first nudging it with your stick. I have seen snakes along side of rocks etc that were invisible until I moved the rock.

Snakes can only strike about 3/4 the length of their body. If you are beyond that distance you are safe to retreat. If closer, keep the stick between you and the snake so you can bat it off to the side if it strikes, but do not get the stick near the snake. The strike will be very fast, but you will probably hit the body and deflect the head. Move away quickly. 5' or so will suffice.

They use heat to image their prey more than eyesight. They will not fix on the stick like a cobra fixes on the flute of the snake charmer.

They really don't want to have anything to do with you. If one blocks your path, WAIT until it moves which could be several hours. Do not try to hurry it along. Go around it if possible, keeping at least 10 feet away if possible. At that distance you are probably not going to be a threat.

If you plan to stop for a few minutes in an area, first "sweep" it for about 20' in all directions. Your toe sticking around the edge of a rock has a similar heat signature to a small rodent.

I don't like them but they are a fact of life here. Our community has frequent encounters with them. They are dangerous, but usually they just want to be left alone. After the first few encounters the fear will subside a bit. Don't get complacent.

Nomad.