Normally I just roll my eyes on the YET again, 1 millionth statement on here, regarding where Brunton or Silva make their stuff or who owns who. But I am glad TimLarson mentioned that Brunton has changed up their line with the new OSS stuff.

I was at REI last week and all they had from Brunton was the new OSS models. Their base plate models go from 10B, 20B, 30B, 40B, and mirrored are 50B, 60B, 70B.

The 40B looked a lot like their old 8096 adventure racing model that I have, most of the base plate is the same, the bezel and pointer are different. The eclipse circles are actually smaller I think inside the compass.

I really liked my Brunton 8096 but it has a large bubble in it and no matter how many times I am told it doesn't affect it, I fixate and only take it out when I feel like playing around to verify another compasses heading. In a few months if the word on the OSS models is that they don't eventually develop the bubble, I will get a 40B to replace the 8096.

Interestingly enough REI no longer sells the Ranger model and Silva's stock was noticeably smaller. I checked while writing this if Silva still makes the Ranger and they do, but it wasn't in the REI store or their online site.