Car recovery is my thing, or so I would like to maintain that idea.

If you are zipping along in a normal car like a 4 door sedan or mini 5 door car. a simple Get home bag that does include head lamps (can't work with one hand holding the flashlight and holding it in your mouth is not a good idea) as for the "pull out" part I would suggest the following:

A) Traction mats
B) Tire cables, if your car can use them, even if they are illegal for on the road, they can get you out of the ditch and then you can remove them. Also keep in mind that if they don't work, they are amazingly good at getting you supper stuck!
C) Short pieces of webbing or rock climbing rope. I have rescued a small SUV from a snow bank by using webbing and attaching that webbing to a good 4X4. More than once had I been in a friends car who was stuck, a 4x4 stops and says, "I will pull you out, but I don't have a tow rope"
D) and Avalanche Shovel. Not your cheap store bought shovel, these are the ones meant to move hard packed snow. During the summer, a small good shovel goes a long way; I don't use the folding ones I prefer to use the normal shovels. More space is used, but the pay off is pretty good when in a pinch.
E) Road flairs
F) Jumper cables, if you have the space one of those jumper systems that have an inverter and an air compressor goes a long way.

That is the basic list.. I am sure I am missing something.

As I drive a F350 4x4 my "box" is a little bigger.

In that I carry the following:
A) 2 gage Jumper Cables
B) 4 quarts of Oil (just incase)
C) Coolant
D) 4 small ratchet straps
E) 2 heavy duty ratchet straps
F) 2 30'x2" snatch straps.
G) 1 30'X4" tow strap.
H) 3 5 ton chains varying lengths from 6 foot to 12 foot
I) 4 Shackles rated to 4 tons each
J) 2 Pulleys rated to 20,000 pounds
K) Machete
L) 18 inch bar chain saw (ok I am over prepared)
M) Light tool chest
N) 200 feet of old rappelling line
O) WD40

I am sure that I am missing a ton of stuff.. But I have issues with wanting to keep too much in my truck.