I received the batch of Type 4 (11 strand) 750 pound breaking strength para-cord (from the ebay seller suggested by Cauldronborn) about 4 days after placing the order. After examining the Type 4 750 cord carefully and the documentation, I'm totally convinced that what I received is in fact real MIL-C-5040H Type IV cord, and not just a commercial grade (or even a high quality commercial grade) of para-cord.

This cord has 11 inner strands (just as advertised) and each strand has 3 yarns (not two yarns as many of the commercial grades have).

Among the many identifiers of MIL-C-5040H cord, one of the strands is not white, rather that particular strand has the color scheme that was assigned by the DOD for the manufacturer (in this case Miltex Industries). This is a dead giveaway that this is real MIL-C-5040 cord because the commercial grades only have, at least to my knowledge, all white inner strands.

The Certification that was included with the order gives the month of manufacture (in this case February-2012) and the day the Type 4 was shipped from the factory (in this case, on February 23, 2012).

The Certification has all the other (numerous) earmarks of genuineness and a statement that the cord was manufactured in the U.S.A. It further states (in words to the effect) that randomly selected lengths of this cord were selected from the lot and inspected and tested and were in compliance with the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations in regard to Mil-C-5040H cord.

Since all para-cord degrades over time and especially if it is stored for long periods of time in hot or in fluctuating temperatures, I was particularly pleased that this 11 strand cord was certified as being manufactured within the last 60 days -and that this MIL-C-5040H Type 4 batch was not manufactured 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

I was also surprised to find that the Certification also contains "Chain of Custody" information, showing that the ebay seller received the cord directly from the manufacturer. Other than the manufacturer, I am only the second possessor of this particular batch of 750 cord.

The overall quality (i.e. texture, construction, integrity and appearance) of the 750 11 strand cord (i.e. the sheath, strands, yarns, weave and twists) was in keeping with what I expect of real MIL-C-5040 cord.

One thing I've noticed is that the ebay store I purchased this para-cord from does not keep regular ebay hours (24 hours a day, 7 days a week), rather it closes during holidays and I don't think you can place an order during that time. I've never previously seen any ebay store that puts out a closed during holiday sign - didn't even know this could be done - I find this exception to be somewhere between amusing and endearing all considered.

As you know, real MIL-C-5040H Type 3 550 cord is very hard to find to begin with, and in the Type 4 11 strand 750 version, its almost impossible to find - I'd say it's rare.

Except for the single purchase, I have absolutely no connection whatsoever with the subject ebay seller and/or manufacturer --- just calling it as I see it.