Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
What the gentleman hasn't seemed to take into consideration is that doctors, er personnel, surgeons etc, even paramedics and emts are used to sterile conditions with bright lighting inside out of the elements and with plenty of back up to call on. Combat medics work under the absolute worst conditions, with minimal supplies they had to carry in. When the bullets are flying and men are dying they have to to decide who lives and dies (triage) and all the while they themselves are targets of enemy fire. So who do you REALLY want working on you in tghe back country after being bear mauled, shot or snake bit? A heart surgeon with a first aid kit or the guy that spent a tour or two under fire and brings whats really needed to the party? I'll take the medic. Just my opinion.

I gotta say, in my 8 years as an EMT, I can't remember all that many sterile conditions and bright lights ... so not sure where you're basing that stereotype.

"Combat" medics is pretty broad. Every 68W in the Army is a "combat medic" but few truly see combat. Heck, most of them end up in some sort of clinic setting or rear setting. And most of THEM don't know what to do after 30 minutes ... that casevac isn't going to come in a SHTF. And they won't be all that good with non-trauma stuff. So, you pick who you want.

A SF medic is probably better trained, or an IDC for the Navy folks. Ideally, some sort of surgeon or ER doc that has real world, out of hospital experiences.