Originally Posted By: hikermor
"once their patients die off"...I think I would agree that many of the initial victims will perish, but the drastically altered circumstances will be generating new patients, perhaps in very large numbers, due to degraded sanitation, environmental exposure, trauma from cleanup efforts, inadequate diet, psychological reaction to stress - you name it.

Have there been any historical instances of "surplus" medical personnel in disaster situations? I haven't heard of any, but I certainly haven't really considered the issue....

Note what I actually wrote

Quote:
barter after a TEOTWAWKI type event

A disaster, even a widespread one like a tsunami or hurricane is not a TEOTWAWKI type event that would be required to reduce us to a barter economy. TEOTWAWKI would make some very serious changes in the way things are very quickly for everyone. I don't see anyway that I can prepare for such an event, so I do not even try.

In the midst of a widespread disaster it is quite possible I might well make some trades. For instance, I might well trade some beef jerky for a bag of peanuts. But that kind of thing is not part of my planning.

Bob