I don't know what the magic mix is but I will say this: it's tricky.

It's reasonable to say that guns are an important tool and using them an important skill. It's unfair to assume that because someone owns/carries a gun they must be a "gun loving uneducated redneck". On the other hand, someone pointing out when they might not be preferred, isn't the same thing as anti-gun advocacy.

Likewise, some of us exclude them from our equipment and skills inventory. That's reasonable too. It's unfair to assume that reason we don't own/carry guns is because they're "anti-gun fear mongers". On the other hand, someone pointing out when they could be preferred doesn't make them a "gun nut" either.

Making an argument to include or exclude them in any given scenario is usually reasonable. Explaining why a different/additional gun or ammo is the preferred choice is probably cool too.

Continuing to argue about whether someone else should or should not own/carry/use a gun isn't cool.

Making assumptions about other people's motivations isn't cool.

Dismissing someone because they fall into one camp or the other isn't cool.

EDIT: Personalizing the your argument by throwing insults, accusations or qssumptions at someone of the opposite persuasion of yours isn't cool.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/01/12 11:27 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA