We just finished the fourth week of our CERT course, so it is really interesting to compare notes. For sure, CERT is geared to local circumstances - in our situation, this means being primed for major earthquakes, when it won't be a question of being called out to deal with an emergency - it will be wrestling with local issues for at least the first 72 hours while the region begins to recover. Like you, our first aid is definitely rudimentary, and it wasn't represented as anything like a complete first aid course. The emphasis was on triage. After a lifetime of training in CPR, it was a little startling to wrap my mind around the concept of trying to open the airway twice, and, if unsuccessful, dropping a black tag and moving on to the next individual, but it does make sense under the proposed scenarios. It might not be so easy to accomplish in real life. What was really useful was discussion and practice of the signs and indicators of someone in the immediate (red) category. Triage is not covered in any first aid or EMT training I have ever been exposed to.

One phenomenon that hasn't been mentioned by others that affects us is tsunami potential(our harbor was damaged by last year's Japanese event). This was discussed in some detail - head for higher ground in the event of a local quake if you have a choice. The resulting tsunami could be upon us quite quickly, as in the 1812 event.

I find the instruction worthwhile and useful. I am glad I am putting in the time and effort, because I should be more useful and productive in the next emergency (provided I am among the survivors). They are emphatic about priorities - your self, your family, your immediate area and neighbors, and then the larger CERT operation, all of which makes perfect sense.

Our instructor is a very personable senior fire captain. In discussing the non-use of CPR in a major disaster, he offered that he has seen exactly seven successful resuscitations in some 300 attempts; this corresponds with my experience - both my situations were unsuccessful. CPR just doesn't add up, at least not initially, in a major event.

We did get a nice thick manual, although I don't think I will be carting it around to the next emergency. I expect I will go forward with some more CERT training after this course is finished. Hopefully we will assist each other in the next Big One, instead of turning into a snarling wolf pack the minute all the ice cream in the local supermarket melts.

The training is conducted, so far at least, by the County Fire Department. I think one of the benefits will be that participants will have a bit more insight into FD operations and, consequently, will be more effective in supporting their efforts. From what I have seen, we have a pretty good FD here in Ventura County and support for their work is time well spent.