I think there is a tendency to worry way too much about TEOTWAWKI going on here.

I consider it to be a lot like the GPS versus map debate. The debate is long over. GPS is here to stay and short of some event that is extremely unlikely, it is going to stay here. It is a far better tool than typical map and compass. While it can fail, so can a map and compass, and in many ways a map and compass are more fragile.

Paper books printed on normal paper are pretty fragile. Try to read them in the rain, or with sweaty hands and see what happens. A lot like trying to use a typical paper map under similar conditions.

Personally, I print my maps out on regular 8.5X11 paper and put them in a gallon sized zip lock bag. I could spend a lot of money on laminating maps or using waterproof paper, or buying them that way, but a gallon sized zip lock bag works pretty well at protecting the map from both water and abrasion. If I need a bigger map, I can print it out 11X17. Folded over and trimmed 11X17 will fit quite nicely in a gallon sized bag.

The reality is that some kind of ereader is something you can store hundreds or even thousands of titles on. You just cannot carry that much with you in paper form.

I am not opposed to paper books, but I am transitioning to mostly ebooks these days, and they are all either Amazon or DRM free. I have decided Amazon is likely to be around a while, and there will always be something to read DRM free stuff with.

I have been burned by some of the more offensive DRM schemes and smaller sellers that use DRM that I just will not purchase from them anymore.

Incidentally, there are a large number of very readable free books for the Kindle platforms. Enough to keep me in reading material. Most are from unknown authors, but some are from best selling authors like Bob Mayer. I do have to sort thru a lot of stuff that is uninteresting and/or just plain bad stuff to find the good stuff.

Bob