Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
I wouldn't recommend inflating your car tires to twice the rated pressure, but I don't think air compressors should be limited to 40 psi just to avoid the potential problem. You can't protect everybody from their own stupidity, it's up to the individual to know the risks.
OK, good example. But say you pulled into a gas station to fill up your tires with air and the compressor at the gas station shot your tires up to double normal in a split second. Safe compressor or unsafe?

I think most people would say that, for filling tires, it's better to have a compressor that is a little slower.

So, I agree with you that we shouldn't approach life with the equivalent of a 40psi cap on everything we do -- but there are safe ways to do things and there are unsafe ways. A compressor that shoots your tire pressure up over double normal inflation in a split second is probably not a compressor that the vast majority of us would want to use to fill our tires.

Likewise, I agree, there are people who will have reason to put propane in canisters not rated for propane-level pressure. Cold weather hunting or backpacking comes to mind. So long as you exhaust the canister before you bring it into a warm environment, you should be OK.

But would this device be the way to do it? To my mind, no. This device is so shoddy that I wouldn't use it even if I thought the application were appropriate.

Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
EDIT: I actually re-read you post and am confused. Did you actually buy this device and try it out for yourself?
Heck no! I wouldn't want to be within a quarter mile of this thing if it were in use. I'm not afraid of canister refilling if intelligently done. I'm not even afraid of using propane if intelligently done. I'm afraid of this device and of the directions the seller lists with this device. Who in their right mind uses aquarium tubing to transfer propane!?

HJ