Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
As IlBob said, is this a real problem? Yes, there is the potential for an explosion, but I don't know if the risk warrants trying to take this product off the market.
Would you over inflate your car's tires by more than double their rated strength? Perhaps there are circumstances where your tires might not burst, but would you do something that extreme?

This is that extreme.

HJ

Let me say first that I agree with you on the risks and I personally wouldn't do it myself. And I applaud you in your efforts to warn other people. But at that point I would say it's up to the individual to decide if they want to use it. I wouldn't recommend inflating your car tires to twice the rated pressure, but I don't think air compressors should be limited to 40 psi just to avoid the potential problem. You can't protect everybody from their own stupidity, it's up to the individual to know the risks.

To play devils advocate, you state "I believe they can be refilled safely -- just not with 100% propane". I'm sure there are some people who think that there's enough safety factor in the canisters to fill with propane, then on the opposite extreme you'll have people who say it's not safe to refill at all, even with butane. Who's right? Unless someone can come up with data to support their position, it's all just feeling. You probably knew all the risks involved before you bought this contraption, yet you wanted to try it for yourself. I think other people also have the right to make their own decisions about it.

EDIT: I actually re-read you post and am confused. Did you actually buy this device and try it out for yourself?