Oetzi the iceman carried a small knife and an axe when he died.

Nessmuk liked a folding knife, a roughly medium sized fixed blade, and a double-bit axe.

Lewis and Clark carried 24 large knives, 35 falling axes, 2 hand saws, 4 draw knives, and a bunch of other various knives/axes for trade.

Dick Proenneke had large saws, small saws, a double bit axe, hatchets, a splitting maul, an adze, draw knives, gouges, chisels, and a bunch of other stuff.

Looking at instances of longer-term survival through history, I rarely notice people limiting themselves to one tool. More appropriately, they try to have the right tool for the job at hand. This makes a lot of sense to me, as a survival situation isn't the time to be messing around with the wrong tool or an inferior tool if you don't absolutely have to.

While I can understand one's desire to find that one piece of hardware that can do everything equally well, fact is, it just doesn't seem to exist.

Therefore, I would hope that people realize it's important not to place strict artificial limits on your tool selection.

If I need to fell some trees to build myself a winter cabin, I'm going to start by looking at what chainsaws I can take with me. If I don't feel comfortable using or carrying a chainsaw with me, I'm going to look at what axes and/or handsaws I can take as the next best thing.

I'm not going to limit myself to building a cabin with a large knife just because I saw some guy felling a tree with it on Youtube.