Originally Posted By: Lono

I think this is very realistic - the real doomsday preppers are heads down in their bunkers, waiting out the disease

Until an infusion of assistance - like the huge looming prison beyond the trees, why wasn't at least the deputy acquainted at least with the location of local lockups (excellent zombie-resistant shelters) so large? He might have been, but he obviously wasn't thinking enough about the real crying needs of his group - water, food, safe shelter. Given the first two, any jail makes a pretty darn good shelter. Also I am a little surprised that in a nation with over 400 million guns, they aren't finding them littering the streets. Besides ammo, keeping weapons clean and operational would be another issue, but that probably falls below the line of TV entertainment.

Although there is someone pretty prepared in this, whoever is hovering around in the civilian helicopter. I haven't followed the series religiously or read the comic book version of Walking Dead, but eventually I know they'll encounter helicopter person.

Good points, Lono.

Shane said in his final episode that only two weeks elapsed between the zombie virus emerging and society collapsing. So this was not a protracted siege in which the population would have consumed everything. In fact, 99% + (it appears) of the population succumbed quickly.

I've read Compendium One of the "graphic novels" (#1-48 of the comics)- it is interesting to see where they and the television series diverge in plot and characters. There are significant differences to this point so even GN readers can't know for sure just how faithful the TV series will be. Hopefully Compendium Two will be out this summer.

Looks like Season 3 will be exploring much more the primary tension of all post-apocalyptic fiction: the conflicts between different groups of people and individuals who react differently to the void of civilized law and order.

I'm hoping the series won't be as dark as the GN got.