Originally Posted By: Paul810
The 4 hour wait time is only for very cold and opaque water (which is hardest to treat). Water that is clear only needs 30 minutes (same as Potable Aqua)

I think this the primary reason that chemical treatment makes the most sense after filtration as opposed to before.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
For this kit, just in case, Dennis. And research of course. When I came home with a Frontier filter today, my husband laughed and said "you need help" and then asked to see it. :-)

My only concern with the chemical treatment / filter straw set-up is that you'd end up doing things in a somewhat backwards manner; you'd have to chemically treat the dirty water and then filter it.

For myself, I'd probably forego the filter straw and simply chemically treat the cleanest water I could collect with a simple pre-filter (bandanna, coffee filter, etc).