FYI: Countycomm now has a 2AAA-powered AM-FM radio for $5.00:

http://www.countycomm.com/AMFMSLIMRADIO.htm

I think this would be good for a BOB if you like AAA batteries, especially if your other electrical BOB stuff can be powered with them too (flashlights/headlamps, FRS radios, whatever). This is a pocket sized radio but not ultra-miniature. It's handy in that it has a speaker, so you don't have to listen through headphones, it's easier for several people to listen at once. I got interested in very small radios because I wanted to EDC one when travelling, in case something happened, and earphone radios are the smallest. But for a BOB that you only carry when you need it, I think pocket radios are sized ok.

FWIW, during the East Coast blackout last summer, all flashlights were immediately bought up from all the stores and all the D cells and most of the AA cells were bought up too, but AAA and C cells were plentiful. So that's a point in favor of AAA power. Of course it should also be possible to hook up an external C or D cell holder to any of these small radios, to have a tremendous amount of runtime.

Edit: I should add, the Sony radio mentioned in the last post is the SRF-M37V, which someone asked about. Besides AM, FM, and TV, it also has the weather band, which might be useful. Most news broadcasts do include weather reports though, especially if the weather is doing something interesting.