"very unpopular places" indeed!!

Obviously, If you are going to potentially be in harms way ( from indigenous peoples, military, natives or otherwise ) I understand the need for non-reflective, military type equipment. I have different sets of equipment and clothing for different situations myself.

I still recommend using lanyards/tethers on all vital equipment while in the field ( knives, compasses, wallets - if carried ). While in the military on a field training exercise my whole team and I spent well over 45 minutes combing a 50ft by 50ft area for a wallet ( covered in woodland camo pattern fabric ) that one of the team had set down right next to him and forgotten to pick up. We found it , but were quite miffed at having to waste the time looking the wallet rather than humping to the next objective when all he had to do was teather it to his belt with 550 cord as all of us had done.

However, when It comes to domestic ( used in safe areas of the world ) survival/camping equipment, I want it chrome plated, with blaze orange trim, 1000lb tensile strength leashes on it, strobe lights imbedded in it, along with a screaming electronic voice that yells, " hey, I'm over here!!!!"

Matt