Originally Posted By: widget
I use a Suunto MC1G Global, The reason is that it has the global needle that will work properly anywhere in the world...

Quite true. I don't travel OCONUS but Suunto's global needle has 2 features that endear it to me:

1) It settles very fast, and stays stable enough that you can refer to it while moving and maintain reasonable accuracy.

2) The compass is more forgiving of not being held perfectly level. You are less likely to get the needle brushing against the capsule's inside surface when you are tired, rushed, and it is getting dark.

BTW in my earlier response on this thread I should not have taken such an elitist tone. I was mistaking what is dear to me as being dear to everyone else; wrong move. I do maintain, however, that if you get truly skilled at doing demanding landnav the everyday stuff becomes not just easier but second-nature, and your awareness of the experience is enhanced.

Originally Posted By: Denis
...plus the mirror has a few other non-navigation uses.

Agreed. When unfolded completely the MC2G's mirror housing lines up perfectly with the baseplate, giving you a substantial straightedge when working with the map. Unfolded to 90-120deg or so and set on a log or rock, it allows hands-free use of the mirror when I'm dealing with my contacts or extracting a foreign body out of my eye (which has happened). And of course it can be used to signal, which is appreciated here at ETS more than most places.

Originally Posted By: Montanero
Anything technical will fail on you when you least expect it and need it most. I have even had basic compasses get broken in the middle of negotiating obstacles. A planning acronym we used to use is that works with equipment as well is PACE: Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency.

Well said. When I was planning a relief trip to Haiti (didn't wind up going though), a doc who is retired .mil helped me develop an exfil plan based on PACE. The "E" element was pretty desperate...