Originally Posted By: comms
skill set. Y'day I came across a booklet that might help out. It will allow you to work on Land Nav issues without having to leave the house. I haven't bought it yet but I think it has merit. Navigation Challenge book

That looks like a good resource to pick up. I worked my way through Wilderness Navigation by Bob & Mike Burns last year and one of the things I really appreciated about it was the practice problems it supplied. They really helped to ensure I was understanding the concepts correctly.

With regards to the original topic, I have a Suunto MC-2DL NH. It seems like a solid and reliable compass and, as others have mentioned, the map scales on the base plate make map work a bit easier. I also find the mirror makes it easier to use than one without, plus the mirror has a few other non-navigation uses.