It is a good thing to take, I have taken the course myself and the thing you need to be prepaired for is what they are looking for from you may be different than what you believe they will be asking.

In my Cert Class there were doctors, nurses, EMT's and much more, but being a CERT member we do a lot of SAR type stuff but not much hard core stuff. The Medical is very simple as they are expecting you to not have much to work with and there is a limit to what you can and can't do in a disaster. You do learn how to use a Fire Extinguisher, and what the town or city you live in has as a response for emergencies.

But, as far as giving to the community and connecting to it,, it really is a great thing.. You will find out what the plans are and what to do when a serious emergency hits. You will also become one of the helpers and not part of the mass of people not knowing what to do or what is going to happen when a disaster knocks on your community’s door.

You will be amazed at how much your team’s presence in those vests will reassure a community that has had an emergency.