First off, good for you for signing up for the training!

Our city did not have (I just moved) a CERT team, although the training was essentially the same for our CEPA (Community Emergency Preparedness Academy) training. Although the curriculum is pretty much standardized, the details of the content can vary widely depending on who is teaching each segment. I had some interesting, informative sessions, and some were either way too basic or just delivered in a boring manner, so it's hard to say what you might expect.

I thought all the hands-on segments were interesting, from first aid and AED training, to practicing with fire extinguishers, to the mock drill at the end that tries to incorporate the various skills and knowledge you have learned.

Actually, I think the part I enjoyed the most was meeting some like-minded folks from the community and getting to know them over the weeks. They were all ages, from retired folks down to teenagers brought by their parents. Nothing in the training really required any advanced preparation or study. Wear comfortable clothes for days where you may be kneeling or doing any hands-on training, like first aid and AED.

Keep an open mind, soak up the info, and have some fun meeting other folks!