I believe the problem is the language you used, not the fact that you were criticizing. A critique of a situation, done in an even handed manner, can e instructive and useful. You were not off to a good start and frankly, you did not provide any useful insights into the incidents.

Reading the accounts, I noticed that a no time was a helicopter involved. Their use is becoming commonplace and of course that expends your precious tax money rather quickly. There was probably some overtime involved,but it would seem that the rangers were doing their job capably.

It also seems, from the fairly brief account, that no volunteers were involved. This is fairly unusual. My experience is that volunteers do the brunt of the work - at no taxpayer cost. When we used a chopper, it was provided by the military, and it was charged off to training time. The taxpayers received a pretty decent benefit.

If you get out in the Adirondacks, it may well happen that you will be the beneficiary of the state ranger's services. Be glad that they will be well trained and experienced.