Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
...It's only in the last few decades outdoor stores even started selling any knives, as they are virtually useless items in reality.....

Are you saying that knives are "virtually useless" or that outdoor stores that don't sell knives are virtually useless? I would agree with you most heartily if you meant the latter.

Here, from an article I got from IzzyJG99's (very interesting) website is a use for a knife...

Leander Boy Attacked By Mountain Lion
Updated: Wednesday, 08 Feb 2012, 10:03 AM CST
Published : Tuesday, 07 Feb 2012, 7:49 PM CST

A family vacation to west Texas included a frightening encounter with a mountain lion for a Leander couple and their 6-year-old son.

The 17 stitches on the right side of Rivers Hobbs' face may be out by next week, but the memory of what caused the injury will not soon fade away.

“It sneaked up on me,” said Hobbs.

The 6-year-old was attacked Sunday, by a mountain lion, at Big Bend National Park. He and his parents were on a walkway near the main lodge heading to their room when the mountain lion attacked.

“No, not that bad,” said Hobbs, when asked if the attack hurt.

The family is expected to return to their Leander home Wednesday evening. Once back home, Hobbs will have to go though a series of rabies shots.

Next door neighbor, Jessie Brannon, knew the family was on a trip, but didn't know about the attack.

“Just at the wrong time when he's starting school and everything, I'm really sorry about that, people should be very careful in those parks," said Brannon.

Earlier in the day, the mountain lion attacked another family, who say Hobbs’ parents and warned them of the danger.

FOX 7 spoke to Kristi Harris, the mother of the 6-year-old, by phone. Harris said they decided against camping out because of what the other family told them. After eating at the main lodge they walked to their room, when the cat literally pulled her son from her hands.

"This cat ran in front of me, had to cross in front of me and grab my son and dragged me and my son away from where we were walking. I still had him by the hand for a good while and then the animal gave a huge jerk and pulled him to the ground and took him by the face,” said Harris.

Hobbs was saved by his dad.

"The cat was clamped onto his face, I reached down and got my pocket knife out and stabbed the cat in the chest and it let go at that point,” said Jason Hobbs.

The experience will not keep the family from venturing out doors again, but Hobbs’ parents say their walks, in the future, will be much more guarded.

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/video/Lea...-#ixzz1nOUX2XDE